WHAT IS A SHAKER KITCHEN?
Shaker kitchens are derived from the simple yet stylish furniture designs by the Shaker Movement, which started in Northern England in the late 1700s. Known for communal living and persecuted for their fervent praying, which led them to be known as the ‘Shaking Quakers’ they moved to New England in America to continue their quest for cleanliness and simplicity in their spirituality, physicality and productivity.
Fast forward three centuries and today’s Shaker kitchens retain the same qualities and design principles, featuring timeless style and outstanding functionality that elevate modern and traditional homes.
A rich heritage of purposeful design
Shaker-style cabinets provide a true sense of timelessness. The Shaker lifestyle centred a simple way of life. Shakers believed every object in a house should be functional, warm, and welcoming, with simple architecture and furniture. If you are looking to transform your kitchen into a beautiful, timeless space, Shaker kitchens will always be a firm favourite.
Is the Shaker style right for you?
There are many benefits of the sophisticated Shaker kitchen, but below are just a few key reasons why this style has become a hallmark of elegance.
- In-frame cabinetry provides an uncluttered look that feels just as timeless as it does welcoming.
- Natural materials such as oak and pine shape a confident, durable, earthy and classic style that has grown in popularity over the last three centuries.
- The clean lines of Shaker cabinetry also play into this style’s strengths – offering an elegant and approachable look.
- With meticulous attention to detail, you are assured a bespoke Shaker kitchen will be built to last.
A look that can be adapted to bring out the best in your home
While Shaker kitchens maintain classic good looks, their designs can also be adapted to suit various tastes and preferences. Whether you are looking for a more traditional take on the Shaker style for your newly built home, wish to lift the character of your Victorian property or require a look that brings timelessness and simplicity to your sleek apartment in the city, Simon Taylor Furniture designs and handcrafts truly bespoke Shaker kitchens that will complement the architecture of your property.
Our top tips for designing a sensational Shaker kitchen
Achieving lasting simplicity and elegance requires thorough planning, with careful consideration paid to the shape and layout of your kitchen. Below are several tips to help you start creating your perfect Shaker kitchen.
- To decide on the right colours for a handpainted Shaker kitchen, it is crucial to view your existing kitchen as a blank canvas. Dark, matt colours naturally absorb more light, so they are often well suited for more spacious kitchens, while paler shades can help create the illusion of more space and light in smaller rooms.
- The texture is also important, especially in terms of separating large expanses of cabinetry and worktops. A classic Shaker kitchen will often feature characterful natural wood with stone worksurfaces, with metal handles and fixtures, creating a
beautiful balance between warmth and coolness.
- To maximise space, consider open shelves and cabinets with glass doors. This will help keep your kitchen open and airy while providing plenty of storage and a clutter-free look.
- Attention is in the details, so your accessories, crockery and linens should be carefully considered too. A few well-chosen items can help bring your kitchen design together and reflect your personal style.
If you would like to learn more about Shaker kitchen design, or wish to see examples of our craftsmanship, or would like to discuss your plans with Simon Taylor Furniture, please do not hesitate to contact one of our expert designers.